It goes without saying that buying a cpap machine is the perfect solution for sleep apnea but there are many people who abandon their treatment as they have had limited success with it.
The biggest challenge for sleep apnea patient is the limited information available about different cpap machines and how to choose the right one for you.
Settling for the wrong product can only provide you troublesome ownership experience and this can lead to financial loss and frustration.
1. Poor Pressure Regulation In The Mask – How To Rectify This?
One of the biggest problems with cpap machines is maintaining the pressure while you sleep as dissimilarities or gaps on your mask cause minor air leakage and it’s difficult to stick to the prescribed air pressure. If you buy a machine with leak compensation/air pressure regulator feature, this issue can be resolved permanently. In some cases, switching to a high-quality cpap mask can solve this problem.
2. “I Live In A Hilly Area And The Pressure Is Never Right!”
This is one of the most common issues that you will face if you’re living in high-altitude areas. Most cpap machines of this time and date comes with automatic or manual altitude adjustment facility, but there are a few models that do not offer this feature. Unfortunately, some people settle for machines without an altitude adjuster only to find out later that they can’t use their new machine.
3. Condensation Can Be Avoided With Heated Tubing
Condensation in the tubing can cause serious health problems but this setback can be avoided by using cpap machines with heated tubing facility. There are not many manufacturers who produce machines with the heated tubing facility but they are available in the market.
Condensation and can also result in dry nose or nasal congestion. If heated tubing can’t resolve your problems, you need to contact your physician immediately and find out what’s causing your problems.
4. Not able to sleep because of high pressure – a ramp is your answer!
It’s not uncommon for some people who are new to cpap finding it extremely difficult to sleep as the operating pressure is really high for their comfort. If you buy a machine with ramp, this problem can be resolved.
The timing can be set in the range of 0 to 45 minutes. The machine starts operating at low pressure, which makes it comfortable for you to catch up sleep, and slowly move on to the prescribed pressure. You will not notice the increase in pressure as you will be in deep sleep by then.
5. Redness or Sore Spots on Face After Use – Don’t Worry, There Are Many Solutions!
A common reason for many people to stop using the cpap machine is the possible damage it can cause to your skin. Most modern masks can add just naturally to your face but the occurrences of redness or sore spots are still common in some people. You can resolve this problem by slightly addressing the mask straps or pads that are soft. It’s also recommended to clean your mask regularly as it will prevent acne and other skin disorders.
6. Difficulty in Exhaling, Don’t Worry Check Your Air Filter
If you face any difficulty in exhaling, it generally hints to a blocked air filter. Cleaning the air filter generally resolves this problem but there are many instances when a poor quality cpap machine can cause you such issues.
It is recommended to buy your cpap only from reputable stores whose products are from recognized brands. It’s a great idea trying to save some money on your cpap machine but that doesn’t mean that you can compromise on the quality of your product.
Issues Related to the Wrong Purchase Decisions
Since many people are not familiar with cpap machines, its difficult getting the right advice on which product to the bought and the lot of us end up buying stuff that is not exactly what we needed. Some inappropriate features that can cause a bad ownership experience include:
- Weight – If you regularly travel, it’s recommended buying a travel cpap machine as these are lightweight and compact so that you can carry them wherever you go. On the other hand, if you settle for machines that are intended only for indoor usage, you will find them absolutely useless on the move.
- Noise – Some products do have higher operation noise and it can be pretty annoying for those who like to sleep in calmness. Make sure to read some customer reviews to understand the approximate noise level produced by each machine as this will help you to get an idea about what you can expect from each product.
Elaborated here are some of the common problems that you can expect from a cpap and if you follow the appropriate solutions given for each issue, a lot of these complaints can be resolved.